Sunday, May 20, 2012

1980. Boba Fett.

The Empire Strikes Back came out in 1980. I saw Star Wars in the theater, but it must have not been in 1975 when I was zero years old and I only recall it vaguely. Empire Strikes Back I remember vividly. I wanted to ride to kindergarten in an AT-AT, learn the alphabet from Yoda, ride home in the Millennium Falcon to my room in the Bespin Cloud city where Princess Leia tucked me into a Taun Taun. I was five and Return of the Jedi had not come out yet so Leia was still a maternal figure and not yet a sexy metal bikini clad Jabba slave in my mind. I loved all things Star Wars but thought Luke Skywalker was a pussy. I liked Boba Fett. He was my first role model(Earl Campbell/debatable). I was obsessed with him that year, and to some extent still am. I'm not sure why I was so into a bit character with maybe three lines whose sole purpose was capturing my previous favorite character. Maybe it was because he was a lone wolf badass who didn't take sides. He didn't care about the Empire or the Rebel alliance and he didn't use magic. And he had a fucking jet pack! I didn't develop into some rouge bounty hunter who only cares about getting paid but I sure liked that guy. I still have my Boba Fett action figure and have a shitty Boba Fett tattoo on my right shoulder. I won't elaborate on the future of Boba Fett. Patton Oswalt already nailed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment