Sunday, May 20, 2012

1981. Bullwhip.

In 1981 I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark seventeen times. This began my memories of parenting through television and film. Indiana Jones replaced Boba Fett as my hero. He was probably a better role model and at five years old I thought Han Solo played Indiana Jones and not an actor so that made him double awesome. So through my latest obsession I received a bullwhip for a birthday present from my dad. A real leather bullwhip was an amazing and responsible gift to give to a five year old. This must have started my trend of playing with real weapons as a child instead of toys. My friend's parents loved that. For Halloween that year I was Indy. I had a fedora, leather coat, penciled on five o'clock shadow, and of course a fully functional bullwhip. A bullwhip which was immediately taken away from me at school. I remember trying to swing over a bayou by attaching my bullwhip to a tree branch. The results were wet. I never got good at whipping things, probably because the bullwhip was much longer than me shorty. I just decided to master the whip. Where can I buy a bullwhip on a Sunday in Denver?
MTV gets an honorable mention because i watched the hell out of it during year one but ultimately gets its own year in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment